Sunday, October 07, 2007

Michael Clayton

I went out to The Grove yesterday. I saw Michael Clayton starring George Clooney, Tom Wilkinson, Tilda Swinton, Sydney Pollack and Michael O'Keefe. It was pretty good, but a little dry. The theater was pretty crowded, but I managed to sit with no one directly next to me. But two seats to my right was an older woman, who kept making noises, and saying things. Like, at one point, she thought someone had been killed, and she moaned an "ooaaahhh." At a particularly intense moment during the climax, she was so ruffled she had no choice but to pick up her long ago discarded popcorn and start munching on it again.

The movie cost $9.75 -- that's the matinee price. I got a popcorn and Coke for another $9.25. Part of this is just being in LA/Hollywood, where movie prices are second only to NYC. Part of it is that The Grove is one of the more expensive theaters, second only to the Arclight, down here, I think. Stadium seating is highly touted, but isn't even all that great.

Anyway, next I went to get some much needed new sunglasses at Nordstrom (also in The Grove). Persol. See enclosed iPhone pic.

While at The Grove I saw a lot of the Hollywood/Beverly Hills type of people that made me hate LA so much when I lived here ten years ago. It is much better to be on the East Side (Silver Lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz). The Grove featured many stupid, young people with very, very rich parents: film producers, kings, princes, owners of small countries, mobsters, etc. These people, dripping in expense, and solely concerned with themselves, treated everyone else like they worked for them.

There were a lot of dogs at The Grove. I think I saw an actress who's on a new TV show, and the guy who played the brother-in-law of the victim in 1982's The Verdict -- he had really long hair. I could be wrong.

Then I went to an unnamed supermarket in Los Feliz. There is a girl who works there who bags groceries. She's kind of pretty, but I get the feeling that she hates her job, hates the people that shop in [unnamed supermarket], thinks she deserves better, and maybe she does. She's also a terrible bagger. She could care less. Shockingly slow. I should know, because I used to bag groceries! In 1986! She's terrible. I was great. She's slow and rude and bags carelessly. I was fast and kind and bagged thoughtfully and smartly. I feel like she's the kind of person who could watch someone murder someone else and do nothing and feel nothing. Like, in fact, if she met the right guy, she could become one half of an infamous spree killer couple! Hooray! Of course, I could be wrong about her. Maybe I think too much in my head.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger jray said...

I love the commentary about all the rich kids at the Grove, right below the photo of you buying designer italian sunglasses.

Nice choice by the way.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home